Five new endowed professorships in the Medical School were
made possible last year with funds totaling $6.5 million.
Dean Allen Lichter with
Sophie and Max Newman at the inauguration of the Newman
in Radiation Oncology, on December 10, 2000. Dean Lichter
is the first
holder of the Newman chair.
A gift from Max Karl Newman (M.D. 1934) of Bloomfield Hills
and the Newman Family Foundation established the Newman Family
Professorship in Radiation Oncology. The gift was made in recognition
of the longstanding relationship of Max Karl Newman and his
sons, Donald L. Newman (M.D. 1973) and Steven E. Newman (M.D.
1970) with the University of Michigan and to honor the many
accomplishments of their medical careers. Max Newman was a pioneer
in physical medicine and rehabilitation and one of the founding
members of his specialty. All three of the Newmans are practicing
physicians in the Detroit area, Donald in family medicine and
Steven in neurology. The Newmans gift is also to honor
Dean Allen Lichter, M.D., who will be the first holder of the
Newman Professorship and whom Max Newman first knew many years
ago as the young son of his friend and classmate, Max Lichter,
M.D. A ceremony to inaugurate the Newman Family Professorship
was held December 10, 2000, at the Michigan League in Ann Arbor.
Two professorships in surgery were made possible with an endowment
established by bequest in 1958 to benefit the Department of
Surgery from the estate of Battle Creek resident Maud T. Lane.
Distributions from the Maud T. Lane Scientific Research Fund
provided $2.4 million toward the professorships, with the balance
coming from the Department of Surgery. An earlier 1996 distribution
from the Lane bequest funded a professorship in her name in
the Department of Surgery.
Executive Vice President
for Medical Affairs Gilbert S. Omenn with Peg Child, wife
of the late C. Gardner Child who served as
chair of the Department of Surgery from 1959 to 1974, and
Frederic Eckhauser, first holder of the Child Professorship
of Surgery, at the inauguration of the Child chair on May
Lane was a patient of the late C. Gardner Child, M.D., who
served as chair of the Department of Surgery from 1959 to 1974.
One of the new professorships is named in honor of Child. The
other new professorship is named in honor of Hugh Cabot, who
was professor of surgery and director of the Department of Surgery
from 1919 to 1930. He also served as dean of the Medical School
from 1921 to 1930.
The first C. Gardner Child Professor of Surgery is Frederic
E. Eckhauser, M.D., who joined the faculty in 1976 and whose
major areas of clinical interest include pancreatobiliary cancer,
chronic pancreatitis, and portal hypertension. His professorship
was inaugurated on May 30, 2000.
Alfred Chang with sons,
Stephen and Chris, and wife, Lana
Timothy M. Johnson
The first Hugh Cabot Professor of Surgery is Alfred E. Chang,
M.D., who joined the Michigan faculty in 1988 and whose major
research interests include cancer immunotherapy and gene therapy.
His professorship was inaugurated on September 28, 2000.
Timothy M. Johnson, M.O., associate professor of dermatology,
otolaryngology and surgery, was inaugurated January 13, 2000
as the William B. Taylor Collegiate Professor of Dermatology.
Johnson is also the director of Cutaneous Surgery and Oncology
in the Department of Dermatology, and serves as the clinical
director of the Cutaneous Oncology Program in the Comprehensive
Cancer Center. His clinical research concerns the systematic
surgical management of malignant melonoma, basal cell carcinoma
and squamous cell carcinoma.
The Taylor Professorship honors William Brooks Taylor, a member
of the Medical School faculty for 40 years, 25 of them as a
professor. Taylors legendary diagnostic skills and knowledge
of his patients inspired many, including more than 250 residents
who trained with him. As a pioneering teacher, Taylor helped
establish the clinical teaching program in dermatology at the
University of Michigan. Taylor retired from teaching in 1992,
and died in 1997.
The Taylor Professorship was established through gifts from
friends of the Department of Dermatology, graduates of the dermatology
residency training program, faculty members and grateful patients.
In the Department of Anesthesiology, Ralph Lydic, Ph.D., has
been named the Bert N. La Du Professor of Anesthesiology Research.
The professorship honors Bert N. La Du Jr. (M.D. 1945), Ph.D.,
a former chair of the Department of Pharmacology and a biochemist-physician
whose illustrious career included research into metabolic pathways,
specifically those involved in drug metabolism. La Du was among
the first to describe the drug-metabolizing enzyme system of
liver microsomes that later became known as cytochrome P-450,
now recognized as the major enzymatic pathway responsible for
most of the metabolic detoxication of therapeutic drugs, as
well as the metabolism of hundreds of other organic compounds
in the environment. La Du has also made major contributions
in clinical research on several inborn errors of metabolism
of amino acids and in pharmacogenetics, the study of genetic
traits that cause unusual reactions in some people to therapeutic
The Bert N. La Du Professorship of Anesthesiology Research
was created with gifts from faculty, residents and alumni/ae
to acknowledge and commemorate La Dus contributions to
academia and science. La Du recently celebrated his 80th birthday.
Lydic, whose own research focuses on the cellular and molecular
mechanisms that cause respiratory depression during unconscious
states, is the current president of the North American Sleep