Robert M. Campbell (M.D. 1945, Residency 1949) died March 2, 2010. He was 88. An obstetrician and gynecologist, Campbell taught at the University of Washington School of Medicine from 1949-89. He served as chief of staff at Maynard Hospital in Seattle and at Overlake Medical Center in Bellevue.
Francis H. Fukunaga (M.D. 1954) died February 5, 2009, at age 80. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army and a former pathologist at Kuakini Health System in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Roger A. Ikola (M.D. 1956, Residency 1959) died December 26, 2009. He was 78. Ikola served in the U.S. Army before settling in California, where he spent his career practicing pediatrics. In 1973 he co-founded Pediatric Medical Group of Santa Maria. He was very involved in the local business community and also held a law degree.
Wallace R. Kemp (M.D. 1954), 80, died January 28, 2010, at his home in Melbourne, Florida. He was in general practice in Dexter, Michigan, for 23 years, and also practiced in Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina during his career. He served as a U.S. Air Force flight surgeon from 1980-87.
Hyde Samuel Leland (M.D. 1941), of La Cañada Flintridge, California, died January 13, 2010, at age 93.
Warren Burt Mason (M.D. 1954) died April 8, 2010. He was 83. Mason followed his service in the U.S. Army during World War II with a medical degree from the U-M and an internal medicine residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. He then joined the practice of Wells & Fitts in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and remained there for 35 years. During his career he served in various roles at Blodgett Memorial Hospital. He retired in 1992.
Earl Vincent Moore (M.D. 1943, Residency 1945) died December 1, 2009, at age 92, following a brief illness. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Navy and briefly taught bacteriology at the U-M Medical School before settling in California. There, Moore completed a urology residency in San Diego, and served as an assistant professor of surgery and urology at the University of California, Los Angeles, before setting up a urology practice in La Mesa.
Charles W. O’Dell Jr. (M.D. 1971) died December 10, 2009. A resident of Battle Creek, Michigan, he was 64. From 1976-78, O’Dell was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy Medical Corps, serving in Guam. He served as chief of staff for the radiology department at Battle Creek Health System, as well as for Radiology Consultants PLC.
William Selezinka, M.D. (Residency 1973), died January 13, 2010. He was 83. Selezinka traveled frequently to his native Ukraine with ophthalmology residents and faculty from various universities, including the U-M, to consult, teach and perform surgery. A former faculty member at the University of California, San Diego, he helped finance fellowship training there for Ukrainian ophthalmologists.
Charles L. Smith (M.D. 1966, Residency 1970), of Perrysburg, Ohio, died December 3, 2009, at age 77. Smith served in the U.S. Army during the 1950s and 60s. In 1954 he completed a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy at the U-M and began a career as a pharmacist. He returned to the U-M for a medical degree, then in 1970 earned a master’s degree and completed a residency in ophthalmology. Smith served on the advisory board of the U-M W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, and generously supported Kellogg and the U-M.
Robert Altman Sobel (M.D. 1939), of Lincolnwood, Illinois, died December 18, 2009, at age 93.
Donald A. Sutherland, M.D. (Residency 1950), died January 5, 2010. He was 85. Sutherland served in the U.S. Army before settling in Washington. A pediatrician, he co-founded the Bellevue Clinic in 1953 and practiced there until retiring in 1991. He was instrumental in the development of the Poison Control Center and construction of Overlake Hospital, and served as clinical professor of pediatrics at the University of Washington School of Medicine.
Rients van der Woude, M.D. (Fellowship 1958), 86, died March 19, 2010. A native of Holland, he came to the U.S. for internship and residencies in New Jersey and New York, then completed a research fellowship and taught thoracic surgery for a year at the U-M. In 1960 he returned to New York to develop an open heart surgery program at Lenox Hill Hospital, then practiced thoracic and cardiovascular surgery at Cornwall Hospital and St. Luke’s Hospital. In 1994 he retired to North Carolina, where he continued practicing until completely retiring in 2006.
Mel Barclay, M.D., 66, died February 2, 2010, at his home in Ann Arbor. He received his medical degree from Wayne State University in 1967. In 1973 Barclay joined the faculty in the U-M Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, where he would remain until retiring. In the 1980s he taught many U-M medical students to use computers. During his career he received an Excellence in Teaching Award from the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics and a Lifetime Achievement Award in Medical Education from the U-M. Contributions in his honor may be made to the Mel Barclay Medical Student Scholarship, Medical Development, 301 E. Liberty, Suite 400, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104.
S. Jan Behrman
S. Jan Behrman, M.D., of Palm Springs, California, died December 9, 2009, at age 89. He received his medical training at the University of Capetown in his native South Africa, and at Queens University in Belfast, Ireland, before coming to the U-M in 1948 for a Master of Science in public health and an obstetrics research fellowship. He joined the faculty and taught here for 29 years, during which he helped introduce laparoscopic techniques to the U.S. and co-authored two gynecological textbooks. Behrman left the U-M to become chair of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michigan, where he developed one of the first in vitro fertilization clinics in the Midwest. Contributions in his memory may be sent to the S. Jan Behrman Professorship, Medical Development, 301 E. Liberty, Suite 400, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104.
Bartley R. Frueh
Bartley R. Frueh, M.D. (Residency 1970), died February 16, 2010. He was 72. Frueh received his medical degree from Columbia University and served as a medical officer in the U.S. Air Force from 1965-67. After completing his ophthalmology residency at the U-M, he completed a fellowship in oculoplastic surgery in Alabama and served from 1973-79 at the University of Missouri Medical Center. In 1979 he began a 30-year career at the U-M W.K. Kellogg Eye Center, where he mentored residents and fellows, became a world-renowned expert on Graves’ eye disease, and began the Oculoplastics and Orbital Surgery Service and the center’s oculoplastic fellowship training program. After retiring in 2008, he was named emeritus professor and continued to practice. Frueh and his wife, Cheryl, established a professorship at the U-M in honor of his parents; contributions may be sent to the Lloyd and Virginia Frueh Professorship, U-M Kellogg Eye Center, 1000 Wall St., Ann Arbor, MI, 48185.
Keith S. Henley
Keith S. Henley, M.D., 86, died February 20, 2010. He received his medical degree from King’s College of the University of Durham, in England, completed a residency at the Postgraduate Medical School of London, then came to the U-M for a fellowship in gastroenterology. Henley joined the Medical School faculty in 1954, led the Division of Gastroenterology from 1972-81, and founded the Hepatology Program in 1972. Following his retirement in 1993, he remained active as a faculty member and professor emeritus in the Department of Internal Medicine, and was honored with a lifetime distinguished service award in 2009. Contributions in his memory may be made to the Keith S. Henley Collegiate Professorship in Gastroenterology, Medical Development, 301 E. Liberty, Suite 400, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104.
Clayton K. Mammel
Clayton K. Mammel (M.D. 1953) died April 15, 2010, at age 89. He and his wife, Jeanne, established the Clayton K. Mammel, M.D., and Jeanne G. Mammel Scholarship to support medical students who are struggling, as he did, to afford tuition. Mammel received a degree in dental surgery from the University of Kansas City before coming to the U-M for a medical degree and oral surgery residency. He served as a medical officer in the U.S. Navy in the early 1950s. He practiced medicine in Denver for 40 years, specializing in maxillofacial restorative surgery, and upon retiring became a teaching fellow in otolaryngology at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. With his wife, he volunteered as a ranger in Rocky Mountain National Park and traveled extensively on medical missions, providing care to underserved people in several countries. Contributions may be sent to the Mammel Scholarship, Medical Development, 301 E. Liberty, Suite 400, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104. —MF